Content - History and Corporate Form

History and Corporate Form

Das Technorama-Museum wurde 1982 eröffnet

Antikes Fahrzeug, zum anfassen nah

Das Technorama als technisches Museeum

Präparierte Modelle zeigen technische Zusammenhänge auf

Fluggeräte: "Hands-On"-Exponate vermitteln mehr als Information

Seifenblasenmaschine

Von der Verblüffung zum Aha-Erlebnis

Die erste Technorama-Ausstellung mit interaktiver Kunst

Kulturpreisübergabe 2001 für Ex-Direktor Remo Besio (links) durch Ex-Stadtpräsident Dr. Martin Haas

Neueröffnung 2002 mit Performance "Flügzüg"

Neueröffnung 2002: Vernissage der neuen Eingangsfassade von Ned Kahn

Nach dem Umbau 2002

Vernissage des Chemielabors, 2007

Eröffnung des Innenhofs mit Magischer Welle, 2009

Das Technorama wird auch Veranstaltungsort

Das Technorama wird als beliebtes Ausflugsziel bekannt

 

As early as 1947, an organisation was established for the foundation of a technical museum for Switzerland, and potential exhibits were collected, principally redundant

pieces from industrial firms in the region, and from what was described at the time as the “golden triangle” of Swiss mechanical engineering – Winterthur, Zurich and Baden.

In 1969 a foundation was set up (under Art.80 of the Swiss Civil Code) called “Technorama of Switzerland” with a supplementary purpose document, “Science and Technology in a living Exhibition”. The intention was obviously to set up an exhibition which would permit a wide public to have direct experimental contact with particular topic areas.

 

1982 saw the opening of an exhibition which was very conventional and technical museum-like, with a large amount of verbal material, mainly in the form of an audio-visual “superstructure”.

In 1990, however, an entirely different model was adopted (due to Remo Besio, the former director) which was inspired by the leading science centres in the USA and England (the Exploratorium in San Francisco and The Exploratory in Bristol).

The theoretical basis of an interactive science centre had been substantially worked out by Frank Oppenheimer (USA) and Richard Gregory (UK), together with publications by Steve Pizzey (UK) and a comprehensive collection of reports and evaluations by the American ASTC (Association of Science and Technology Centers). In addition, the work of the German educationist, Hugo Kuekelhaus (1900 – 1984) was a great influence on the way in which stimulating exhibits were to be designed and built.

 

In the following decade (up to 2000), the dusty museum was systematically transformed into the current science centre – a diverse, atmospheric experimental area dedicated to informal learning, with a strong element of play. Happily, this reorientation was appreciated by visitors, who arrived in increasing numbers. Even more encouraging was the escalating number of young people visiting, from teenagers down to pre-school age. Technorama was establishing itself as an increasingly indispensible “Oasis” in the field of extra-curricular science education.

 

In 1999 Technorama’s constitution was revised, involving a reorganisation of the Foundation (abolition of the dual Foundation Council and Managing Committee) and a revision of its regulations and statutes.

 

Remo Besio died 2016 on March the 14th. We have dedicated a separate page as a tribute to Remo Besio.


Footer

Copyright © 2016 Swiss Science Center Technorama. All rights reserved.

URL of this site:

http://www.technorama.ch/en/about-us/technorama/history-and-corporate-form/?type=0&cHash=fde1b1f9d45d6a45bad3712aa4f17501